Media in Trouble: All the news thats UNfit to print!: Another pundit caught taking payola

"The information of the people at large can alone make them safe, as they are the sole depositary of our political and religious freedom." --Thomas Jefferson 1810

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Another pundit caught taking payola

Maggie Gallagher joins Armstrong Williams in the pundit payout scandal plaguing the Bush Administration.

Gallagher was paid by Dept. of Health and Human Services to help push the have babies only after your married initiative the pres spent $300 million on. Granted she wasn't paid as much but that doesn't matter.

So what did Maggie have to say:
"'Did I violate journalistic ethics by not disclosing it?' Gallagher said yesterday. 'I don't know. You tell me.' She said she would have 'been happy to tell anyone who called me' about the contract but that 'frankly, it never occurred to me' to disclose it."
First question answer: Yes

Second statement: If I was reaping taxpayer money to push an agenda no matter whose, would I want people to ask me? Probably not, but would it occur to me that I am getting paid by the government to do it?

Yes
Atrios, Pandagon, and TPM have chimed in as well.

|